Language allocation policies calling for strict language separation continue to prevail in schools, even as they are continuously violated and negotiated by educators and students.(García & Otheguy, 2020)
BethAnne Paulsrud mentioned some texts in our interview:
Openly available texts
- Anderson, J. (2018). Reimagining English language learners from a translingual perspective, ELT Journal, 72(1), 26–37, https://doi.org/10.1093/elt/ccx029
- Conteh, J. (2018) Key concepts in ELT. Translanguaging. ELT Journal, 72(4), 445-447. https://doi.org/10.1093/elt/ccy034
- Creese, A., & Blackledge, A. (2010). Translanguaging in the bilingual classroom: A pedagogy for learning and teaching? Modern Language Journal, 1, 103-115. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.2009.00986.x
- Ofelia García’s website where she shares many of her publications in full, e.g. the following:
- García, O., & Seltzer, K. (2016). The translanguaging current in language education. In B. Kindenberg (Ed.) Flerspråkighet som resurs [Multilingualism as a resource]. (19-30). Liber.
- García, O., & Otheguy, R. (2020). Plurilingualism and translanguaging: Commonalities and divergences. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 23(1), 17-35. https://doi.org/10.1080/13670050.2019.1598932
- Wikipedia on translanguaging
- If you read Swedish:
- Greppa flerspråkigheten from the Swedish National Agency for Education (Skolverket)
For those who have access to a university library or funding to buy literature:
- Baker, C. & Wright, W. E. (2021). Foundations of bilingualism and bilingual education (8 ed.). Multilingual Matters.
- Paquet-Gauthier, M., & Beaulieu, S. (2016). Can language classrooms take the multilingual turn?. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 37(2), 167-183. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01434632.2015.1049180
Please share any of your own resources for this topic. Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.